07 February 2012

Bob's your uncle


This past weekend we took a drive over to Everburg and joined about a hundred other people shopping at


The place was packed on a Sunday morning. I had no idea there were so many Brits in Belgium.


I was delighted to see this bakeware display. I've looked everywhere in Hasselt for a cookie sheet with no luck. Jim says I just haven't looked in the right place, but this shelf speaks for itself.


That's why they're getting €9.50 ($12.40) for a cookie sheet. Because they don't sell them anywhere else. Or loaf pans. Or muffin tins. As delicious as they are, it's a tart or a tart here and the only place I've seen homemade cookies is at Subway.


We bought one.


As you would expect there was an entire aisle of tea.


And nearly an entire aisle of shortbread cookies. Walker's, of course.


It was nice to see bagels available because thus far we've only seen them at the American Food Store. Guess there aren't enough Jews in Belgium?


Brush with greatness for sale.


I still don't get it. The royalty thing, I mean.


Apparently the British never throw anything out. They use it to make haggis.

Naturally, Jim bought a can.

In case you are not familiar with this stinkin' stuff . . . they refer to it as a type of pudding, but that alone makes it sound good. It's actually a mixture of a sheep's heart, liver, and lung minced up with onions, oatmeal and spices. Traditionally this "mixture" was encased in the animal's stomach and slow-cooked for a few hours.

Pudding?

As Jim Gaffigan would say at this point, "I'm offended on so many different levels".


As much as I love Lucky Charms, $12.40 a box seemed like a lot.

We really enjoyed our shopping trip and we'll probably go back again. I think I may need one of those muffin tins. Who knows, maybe they'll run a sale on that commemorative cookie tin.

And there you have it or as the Brits would say . . . Bob's your uncle.

No comments:

Post a Comment