25 February 2012

Belgische film


You've probably heard of Jean Claude van Damme. I've never seen any of his movies, but I have heard of him. I think he's the only Belgian who has become famous in American movies.

That is, until now, perhaps. You've probably not heard of this guy, but I think he might become the second Belgian to become famous in American movies.

His name is Matthias Schoenaerts and he's from Antwerp, Belgium. He's made the local news here of late due to the foreign film he starred in last year. It has been nominated for an Oscar in the Best Foreign Film category.

I haven't seen the film yet despite it being shown at our local theater. Up until now I hadn't even thought about it since it is entirely in Dutch. I know some Dutch, but I doubt it's enough to follow an entire movie of it.

The film is based on the true story of a cattle farmer from the town of Borgloon - just down the road from us - the illegal hormone trade and a murder. Growth hormones to grow bigger, fatter cows is illegal here. Although it is legal in some countries, including the United States, it is not legal in Belgium. Apparently in the midst of the mad cow disease outbreak in the 1970's, the EU banned it. It does make for quick growth and quicker profit and therefore tempts some to break the law.

I'm not sure why this cow needs to be bigger. As you can see they are already huge!


Oh, the title of the movie is Rundskop or "Bullhead" in English and it was written and directed by Michael Roskam.

So, perhaps it will be the winner in its category. I hope to see it and try to make sense of it.

Below is the International trailer (meaning it has English subtitles). The version at our theater won't have those handy English subtitles - our subtitles will be in French. Of course!



No comments:

Post a Comment