16 August 2011

Maple Leaf


I've read Canadians aren't big flag wavers and don't become too patriotic unless they're attending a hockey game or traveling abroad.

Some even go against the norm and sew a Canadian flag onto their knapsack or other item of clothing before crossing the pond. And from what I've read, the main reason for that is so they won't be mistaken for an American.



That's right. Speaking English can get you mistaken for being American and "from what I've read", Canadians will go to great lengths to avoid that.

Here's the interesting thing. Canadians enjoy such a good reputation in Europe and Asia that Americans have begun sewing Canadian flags on their backpacks!


Something to consider. But when the Canadian-flag-backpack-totin' American refers to their knapsack as a backpack and asks for the bathroom rather than the washroom, it's a dead giveaway that this is no Canuck.

At least that's what I've read, eh.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm enjoying your blog! Just stumbled on it. I'm a repatriated Canadian who lived in Breda, Netherlands (just over the border) from 2006-2009. I lived in Philly for 6 yrs. before that. I need to chime in on the backpack thing. Canadians under age 70 also call them backpacks. Also, in your backpack photo, you show two Canadian symbols... the obvious one is the flag, but the less obvious one is the Mountain Equipment Co-op one. That's an under-the-radar way that Canadians can identify their own without the flag patch, since MEC is basically our beloved national purveyor of backpacks and camping supplies. Fact!

    ReplyDelete