28 November 2010

Hellbrun


I must say we had no intention of even going to Salzburg when we planned our anniversary trip. So, I want to thank a blogger I follow, Erin, for her blog post on the musical Sound of Music. After reading that post, I listened to all the music on YouTube and thanks to my mother I know every word to every song. It brought back good memories and I'm so glad we made the stop in Salzburg. Thanks again, Erin.

This is Hellbrun Castle, built in 1613.
You may remember it from the musical.
As you can see, preparations are being made for the annual Christmas market.

The grounds were beautiful and almost completely deserted.
We saw only a couple of people walking around.
Very strange.

Jim noticed two sturgeon in one of the ponds on the property.
The water was very clear. I hope you can see the fish. He was swimming fast!
As you know, sturgeon are harvested for caviar, but I will assume these are not.

The famous gazebo from the Sound of Music where Liesl and Franz meet.

It was locked so we couldn't run around the benches singing. Ha. Apparently that's why it's locked because some people who were not "sixteen going on seventeen" injured themselves. I guess you don't have to be sixteen to be stupid.

This is Jim's 8th attempt at taking our picture. Where is that nice tourist to help?
Anyway, I thought it wasn't so bad and he didn't give up so I figured I should post it :)

1 comment:

  1. Really cool. The place looks beautiful. I'm glad I could inspire the detour.

    ReplyDelete