25 September 2010

Hallmark


Receiving a Hallmark card was really something special. A long time ago. Their quality was unsurpassed by American Greetings or any other off-brand.

Greeting cards probably started with the Chinese, but by the 15th century wooden cutout and handmade paper Valentines were being exchanged in Europe. Hallmark actually didn't come along until 1910. Their cards are still nice and special, but they have so much competition now.

There was a time when I would spend an hour looking for a greeting card. If a card made me laugh, I would buy two of them. I even have a few of these extra cards somewhere at our house in Jefferson and I wish I'd brought them over here with me.

On our son-in-law's birthday recently, I told him I wish I had a weirdly humorous card to send to him, but if there are any here, I haven't found them. Plus the fact that I can hardly read Flemish at 1st grade level, let alone interpret adult humor in a greeting card.

But I do miss the quest for the perfect card. You know, that one that makes you laugh and you are sure that the person receiving it will either laugh or think you're insane? And either one was okay. I've always thought if someone gives you a great greeting card, you can be sure they spent way more time picking it out than the gift itself.

I searched the internet for cards I was either familiar with or ones I'd surely buy if they were on the shelf. They just make me laugh.














"Jesus-Jesus, Bo-Besus!, Banana-Fana Fo_Fesus!, FI-Fi-Mo-Mesus!, Jesus!"



Blank Inside


:)

1 comment:

  1. We've always enjoyed the cards you pick out and these were great as well. Thanks for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete