08 September 2010

Braderie de Lille


Lille (pronounced
Lil in French and called Rijsel in Dutch - for whatever reason, I have no idea) lies in the northwestern part of France only about a half hour over the border from Belgium.

This is the home of what is touted as Europe's largest antique market. All I know is it went on forever and there were people everywhere. It begins at 2 pm on a Saturday and continues through 11 pm on Sunday. Supposedly it attracts between 1 and 2 million visitors and I'm pretty sure they were all there on Saturday evening when we were.

This map shows the area of the braderie perimeter.

We saw lots of people dragging their treasures behind them.

Every restaurant had mosselin (mussels) on the menu and included a contest
at the end of the market to see which restaurant had the most shells.

Every street in the entire city was lined with booths.


I'm not a real antique buff and we didn't buy anything, but it was fun to see an event so huge and the miles of treasures.

And here's a great video I wish I could take credit for . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment