25 March 2010

Cooking -101 (that's a negative 101)


Okay, so I never did much cooking before we moved to Belgium, but now not only do I have excuses, I have good reasons as well. Aside from the Thanksgiving dinner that went nowhere, even the simple gourmet foods I used to make, like Rice Krispies treats, elude me.

Not that everything we used to cook had a can of cream of mushroom soup in it, but it's a pretty common ingredient. A staple, if you will. Not here. And if marshmallows exist, I haven't seen them. And forget making a pie crust with graham crackers or banana pudding with vanilla wafers.

Jim says to improvise, but my favorite foods are kinda like McDonald's. I want them to taste just like they've always tasted. There's just no substitute for Nabisco graham crackers, Kraft jet-puffed marshmallows and Nilla wafers. You culinarians hear me.

Our neighbors have had us over several times to give us a taste of authentic Belgian food and we would like to return the favor. We did send over some of our shrimp creole and they said "it was good" . . . followed by "and spicy". I can't say I'm a real fan of authentic Belgian food yet. Mussels and endive take some getting used to. Sorta like having Thanksgiving dinner in, say Wyoming. You know what I mean.

1 comment: