22 March 2013

Lipstick Time

I used to work with a lady who, near the end of the work day would say "it's lipstick time".  She liked and spent/wasted probably as much money on lipstick as I did/do.  Lipstick may even trump shoes and purses on my list of things I love to shop for.  May.

So, I couldn't resist reading this short article with a photo of lipstick on the Xpats website I frequent . . .

Mar 11, 2013

 The Bulletin editorial team

Although Belgium and a few other countries had long since banned testing on animals, it didn't mean that products couldn't be imported from other countries.  As of last week, that's also banned.  You can see from the limited list in the article above, it isn't just lipstick either.  It runs the gamut, including nearly every product in the Health and Beauty section. 

So, what's in all those products that are or are not tested on animals?  I have no idea.  It may be all about animal testing in the EU, but it's apparently all about color in the U.S. . . .

Under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, cosmetic products and ingredients do not require FDA approval before they go on the market. The exception is color additives (other than those used in most hair dyes). Companies and individuals who market cosmetics have the legal responsibility to ensure the safety of their products.

Well, I'm glad that last line doesn't apply to food and drugs.  Thanks again, big government, for saving me from myself.

If you're interested in what's in your cosmetics, I can't help you, but if you want to ensure the products you buy are or are not tested, PETA has a handy list for you.  It would be a bit complicated if you seriously want to avoid the "do test" products, but I guess I don't have to worry about it thanks to the EU taking care of that for me.

Perhaps this is why I can't buy Chapstick here?

"We do test" list

"We don't test" list

No comments:

Post a Comment