07 January 2012

My weather log


On our recent visit home for Christmas, one of my brothers asked me what one thing in Belgium had been the most challenging to get used to.

I had to say the weather.

Despite the red tape, metrics, and the language, it is still the loooong summer days, the short winter days, and well, the rain that challenges me every day.

In our first year I was convinced it
- rained all the time
- with a constant cloud cover
- and it was always cold.

In our second year I was convinced it
- rained a lot
- it was cloudy a lot
- it was not always cold
- and it was never hot.

Now, as we are half way through our third year, I am convinced this climate is actually not half bad. I've also become much more appreciative of a really beautiful day.

So I've decided to keep a "weather log" to further convince myself that the rain stops occasionally and there are many days when there's not a cloud in the sky.

So far in 2012, it has rained every day with an average temperature of 45F. The sun shone for almost a 1/2 hour on Wednesday. I was out the door soaking it up . . . with umbrella in hand :)

But come April to October . . . the days will get longer and longer and the temperature may reach 80F. Could make one forget all about those short, wet winter days.

No comments:

Post a Comment