04 January 2012

24/7


Did you know Lake Superior State University has been compiling a list for the past 37 years of overused words that should be banished?

Okay, not only did I not know this, I've also never heard of Lake Superior State University. It's located (as you may have guessed) in Michigan and has about 2500 students. This list (and hunting unicorns) may be all they're famous for unless, of course, you count a few hockey championships. Hockey. Soccer. Whatever (banned in 1997).

It seems we haven't taken the banishments very seriously. Here are just a few (including the year of proposed banishment) that I have used and may accidentally use again despite their banishment status:

As if - banned in 1997. Really? (banned in 1979). That long ago.

Awesome - banned in 1984 and again in 2007. Seriously? (not on the list . . . yet).

Sucks - banned in 1995. I never used this one much so I guess I won't miss it now that I know it's been banned for the last decade and a half.

Thinking outside the box - banned in 2000. Bummer (not on the list. Really? - still banned since 1979), I really liked that one.

And then there are some that were banned before I ever knew they existed (or tried to forget they existed) . . . like:

Staycation - banned in 2009. I must get out more. Quit staycationing?

Orientate - banned in 1988. Right up there with irregardless (banned in 1979 and again in 1988) :-|

Thirty-seven years makes this list go way back to 1976 when I was still in high school so I suppose I really show my age when using words like scenario (banned in 1976) and surely (banned in 1980).

I notice 24/24 from time to time on signs around Belgium and I wondered why Belgium didn't know it was 24/7 (banned in 2000).

Well, if you think about it, I believe the Belgians may have it right.

24/7 (banned in 2000) = 3.42857143

24/24 (not on the list) = 1

But . . . it is what it is - banned in 2008.


No comments:

Post a Comment