07 December 2011

Will I EVER Learn?


I've gotten really comfortable here. Even donning my velour warm-up and tennis shoes to walk the dog. Only early in the morning. When there's only a few people around. I think I'm over not becoming the "fashionista" I had once aspired to be.

This morning I woke up to a pretty good rain so decided to wait on the dog-walking event. Then the sun came out (sort of) and the rain stopped. I suit up and we're off. We get about 1.5 kilos (that's a mile for us 'mericans) away from home. Now that may not seem like very far, but it is. Basically from Tech exit to old Wilson Cafeteria/Barnett Springs Road.

Well, I'm (theoretically) at the Tech exit and I hear thunder and lightning. Really? In December? In Belgium? Me and the hondje begin to power walk as it begins to rain - hard (somewhere over I-20). Then we begin to sprint (about Starbucks) and I'm a very poor sprinter. I can't see one bridge, awning, nothing to duck under - it's a neighborhood.

Oh, and it's also freezing cold. Yes, the high today is 45F with 15 mph winds. So if that weren't enough, it begins to sleet along with the rain (somewhere about Lambright Center). Then the "sleet" becomes Mentos-sized and I realize it's actually hail (we're probably at JC Love Field now). We are being pelted with hail and my forehead is beginning to hurt.

Ironically, I encounter only three people in this 15 minute time-frame: one woman in raincoat with umbrella and 2 guys hanging on the back of the trash truck. Not one other Belg is out in this ridiculous weather.

I am sure I must have looked like a complete fool as I came up my street (Tech Drive), velour-soaked to the bone. I have a headache, can squeeze water out of my bra and have never been so glad to see my front door (aka Wilson Cafeteria). I swear I'm going to treat my paraplu like an American Express card . . . NEVER leave home without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment