13 December 2011

The Spirit of Xmas


Every box of Christmas stuff we had when I was growing up was labeled "Xmas". Although I rarely write it, my mother wrote it on everything. You may know the origin of "Xmas", but in case you don't . . . it has nothing to do with robbing the word of its Christian origins. I've read that the whole thing stands for Christ's Mass. In fact, the "X" is simply the first letter in the Greek word for Christ - Χριστός.


No doubt you've seen this symbol if you've ever been in a Catholic or Protestant church,with the first and second letters of that same word, Χριστός, used as a symbol to represent Christ.

So, since Xmastime is here, I've been listening to Xmas songs. I love Xmas music. There are soooo many fantastic holiday songs (and a few that just won't go away :) like . . . The Little Drummer Boy. I really hate that song.

So, in the spirit of Xmas, here's one you'll recognize. Well, except that it's in Dutch. But it has tekst so you can sing along.


No comments:

Post a Comment