01 December 2011

Hi-Yo Silver!


I thought it was Hi Ho too, but it's not and he . . .

just might have been de-licious. We'll never know because he's been dead for decades, but my fellow Americans, you will soon have the golden opportunity that we who live in Belgium have enjoyed for . . . well, forever, I guess - paardenvlees.

You probably recognize that word because I've written about it before.

That's right. Horse meat. Black Beauty and Mr. Ed served up as sausage or lunchmeat. America could even become one of the top 8 countries that consume 4.7 million horses every year.

And it's better for you than Elsie, of course, with less fat, calories and cholesterol.

Apparently, Congress quietly lifted the 5 year old ban on horse meat inspections (it's only been 5 years?!). I think it was slipped into a spending bill that was probably already several hands high.

Keep in mind, the sale of horse meat wasn't illegal, just a ban on inspections which I presume essentially made the sale illegal.

Well, my friend Flicka, not anymore.

However, I did read that the sale of rabbit meat does not require federal inspection so if you can't stomach a nutritious Trigger steak, perhaps Thumper is the next best thing. The Belgians love it and France is the largest producer and consumer of it. Rabbit is all white meat and actually has less fat, calories and cholesterol than even chicken.

Probably tastes like chicken.

As I've mentioned before, I was a vegan for 2 years - the worst 2 years of my life. I've really got to stop thinking about those sad-eyed bovine I've been eating lest I go crazy again.

Carnivore or not, I refuse to dine on My Little Pony.

No comments:

Post a Comment