08 August 2014

A Mouse in the House

Not by Dr. Seuss.

You may remember we've had a small house guest from time to time.  


Here he is having a big time on the patio - that's him just to the left of the sprayer on the hose.  

Adorable, right?

I couldn't agree more . . . as long as he stays OUTSIDE!

Not in a house. Not with a mouse.

Well, last week (and probably whenever he feels like it) he ran out from under the kitchen cabinet while I was washing dishes.  That's right.  Barely two feet away from my two bare feet.

At that point, war was declared.


BUT, since he is so adorable . . . we went to 4 different stores to find these little traps that only detain the mouse so someone (not me) can take him to a friendly field far away to live happily ever after.  Amen.

After all, this could be Algernon, Ralph or Stuart Little!  I get it.


So we set up these 2 traps (costing $8.50 each!) with dried sausage - one outside and one inside.

The next morning I hear Winslow's food being moved around.  I see that Winslow is outside and immediately realize it's not Winslow.  Genius that I am.


I get out my camera and wait - not long - and here he comes - back for more.  There he is, retrieving things bigger than his head.


Keep in mind . . . I'm sitting in THIS chair only 2 feet away and I figure - well, at least we know what he likes now.

So I reset the trap with dog food and wait . . .

 

The next morning, the food is gone and apparently this clever little critter has backed out the same way he came in - leaving a couple of poops behind as a souvenir.  Grrrrr.


At the time we bought those $8.50 humane traps, we also bought these - just in case.  And now you know how to say mousetrap in 5 other languages.  Bonus.

I'm leaving these muizenvallen out, unarmed at first, and since this adorable little house mouse is so smart, he will have fair warning of what's coming.  

I probably should leave a note as well . . .


1 comment: