31 July 2012

Portimão

Portimão is a coastal town in southern Portugal in the region of Portugal called Algarve (The West)




Here you can see it on the map.  It is at the southern tip of Portugal on the North Atlantic Ocean.




A lemon orchard that I barely captured a photo of as we were driving from the airport.




Ross has been backpacking through Spain and Portugal for a few weeks and we decided to meet him for a weekend at the beach in Portimão Algarve called Praia da Rocha (Rock Beach).

While it is a tourist destination, it is the only place we've ever visited where we were 3 of a handful of native English speakers. I heard almost no English the entire weekend.


The weather here is like none we've ever seen before.  The high temperature each day was about 75F and the low about 65F . There was a cool breeze, not only at the beach, but also within the city.  And the best part, it was full sun all the time.

We ate some good seafood, got plenty of sun and sand, even swam in a salt water pool at the hotel. 

The resident mascot at the hotel is a macaw named Laura. 


If you got close to her she'd climb right on.  I kept my distance, but Jim got close and I feared she would be attracted to his glasses, but instead she immediately snapped a button off his shirt!



We decided to venture up to the top of the ridge you can see in the distance.  There was no easy access and we walked and climbed about 10 miles there and back.   




We got some great photos from the top, but it was a little scary to venture very close to the edge.

As with most picturesque European destinations, you are welcome to venture wherever you like and as I've mentioned before . . . with the added bonus of falling to your death should you forget you have a brain. 

Europeans, in general, are very comfortable with their bodies.  They are in no way inhibited or modest.  I was a little surprised (no longer shocked) that quite a few women were topless on the main beach and we even saw a few nude men, but they were in a less accessible beach area.  Muito obrigado.  That's Portuguese for "thank you very much". 

I opted not to photograph any of this.  Você é bem-vinda.  That's Portuguese for "you're welcome".


When we got to this bar we had it all to ourselves, but within a short time we were joined by:

twin Irish guys at least as old as me who had been drinking all day - by their own admission

and an adult guy with Down Syndrome who ordered only a water.  

The bar had two video screens playing classic songs from the '70's and '80's.  When the songs Summer Nights from Grease and Five Hundred Miles came on, all three of them sang along - loudly.  


At the end of Summer Nights, the guy with Down Syndrome finished it off with this Travolta move.  It was great.


What I would give for a video.  You really had to be there . . . but it may have been the highlight of our trip!


We also learned that we spend way too much time primping in the morning.  We're usually about a half hour from bed to door, but on the day we left Portimao, that was not an option.


The only practical way to get from the airport to the beach is by taxi so we asked the front desk to arrange a taxi (they call it a transfer) for the next morning at 6:45.  We were asleep when the phone rang and I heard Jim say . . . "The transfer is here?  Okay, we will be right there."   The alarm had failed us! 


Since we had to catch a plane, we brushed our teeth, threw on some clothes, grabbed our bags and were at the front desk in less than 5 minutes.  Fortunately we (and by "we", I mean "me") had packed our bags the night before.  So I realized I actually can go out without combing my hair and putting on makeup or shoes!

And here's a video of our photos . . .  after you click the arrow to play the video, you may want to make it full screen by clicking the "square" in the bottom right corner.


Hope you enjoy.




1 comment:

  1. Seriously, y'all are living the life. I'll have to number all my thoughts.

    1. Rock beach looks amazing. The pictures are breathtaking although 75 seems cool to take a dip in the water.
    2. I cannot believe the parrot took off a button. I would've been scared to death!
    3. I'm jealous of Ross' tan.
    4. I SO wish you would've gotten a video of the 3 guys. I can see it happening in my head.
    5. I'll probably never understand women being comfortable enough to go topless.

    ReplyDelete