12 May 2012

Norwegian Good

Recently Ross brought his friend, Ida (pronounced Eeda) to our house for a visit.  She's from Norway and is also studying French in Paris. We don't speak Norwegian, but of course, Ida (Eeda) speaks English.  Fluently.  We cooked fried chicken, mashed potatoes and green bean casserole and she seemed to thoroughly enjoy our Southern cooking.

It was a pleasure to get to know Ida and I wish I'd taken a photo of all of us to share with you, but I didn't  :-(

So, last week, an article appeared in the news about the best places in the world to be a mother.  I've read this annual Save the Children report before, but this time it really caught my eye because the number one place in the world to be a mother is . . . you guessed it.  Norway.

The report considers a multitude of things like health, security, education and economic conditions for 165 countries.  Of those 165 countries, 45 are considered developed countries or "peers" to the U.S.  I was disappointed to read that the U.S. ranks #25, but also happy to see it had moved up from #31 in 2011.


2012 Mothers' Index Rankings

TOP 10 - BEST PLACES TO BE A MOTHER
RANKCOUNTRY

1Norway

2Iceland

3Sweden

4New Zealand

5Denmark

6Finland

7Australia

8Belgium

9Ireland

10Netherlands/United Kingdom


I noticed something interesting about this list of countries and that is, with the exception of New Zealand and Australia, they are all within a stone's throw of each other - globally speaking.  I'm sure that doesn't mean anything, just something I noticed.



If you're interested in the rest of the report, click HERE.


And since I couldn't resist that post title . . .








No comments:

Post a Comment