20 April 2012

Venezia


We've been told that a weekend in Venice is all you need to see it so that's what we did!


Here's Venice.

The name Venice (Veneziain Italian) comes from the Veneti people who occupied Venice by the 10th century B.C.


Venice lies on the Adriatic Sea and is made up of 118 small islands only 2-3 feet above sea level. I did not know this before now. That main waterway running through it is called the Grand Canal.


In addition to the Grand Canal, there are over 100 other canals crossed by over 350 bridges and none of them can be driven on by cars. There are no cars in Venice.

I wondered what those countries to the east of Venice are and thought you might too.

I learned that Venice is the birthplace of Antonio Vivaldi (1678-1741). His composition, Four Seasons, is really wonderful. I hope you've heard it before.




We have the CD and when our children were young and still at home we played it a lot. They may not remember any other classical music from childhood, but they surely know this one.

Even if you don't know Four Seasons, you definitely know this Vivaldi piece . . .




Yep, it's from the movie, Kramer vs. Kramer.

"Antonio Vivaldi Greatest Hits". That made me laugh.

For obvious reasons there is no metro in Venice and we stayed off the water taxi, called a vaporetetto. I was trapped by no doors and we both came home with our wallet!


Sadly, my computer has crapped out . . . AGAIN!  Luckily I had not loaded my Venice photos prior to the crash, but I am trying to maneuver on Jim's laptop (not an Apple) and I am a bit handicapped at the moment.  


I hope you will stop back by when I get this computer thing figured out and to share our Venezia weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment