13 April 2012

Simultaneously


On Easter Sunday we had lunch with our neighbors. The two boys of the family are ages 18 and 21 and they've always lived in Belgium.

I don't remember the context of the conversation, but I do remember one of them saying "it happened simultaneously".

Simultaneously.

Me, a professed fluent English speaker, would most likely have said "it happened at the same time", but this kid who clearly has a bigger English vocabulary than me said "simultaneously".

I found that amazing. And I'd be willing to bet he knows the same term and how to use it correctly in French and German.

Frequently in Belgium, the sun shines and it rains . . . simultaneously.


Jim and I took a drive to Gent recently. I think Gent is one of the most picturesque European cities.


And it was raining and the sun was shining . . .


simultaneously.


But that always means there's a rainbow somewhere. They are sometimes hard to capture in a photo. It's faint, but hopefully you can see this double rainbow between the two churches.

Two rainbows . . . simultaneously.

No comments:

Post a Comment