12 October 2011

Not your cup of tea?


Or coffee, in this case.

I love coffee. Probably have an addiction. I'll never know since I drink it every day.

Having coffee in Belgium is an event and it never comes from a pot. Each cup is always made fresh. Always. At every restaurant or cafe or bar. No exceptions.


It always comes with a cookie or little muffin or piece of chocolate. Always. At every restaurant or cafe or bar. No exceptions.

It will set you back 2 or 3 Euro, but it's worth it and folks around here wouldn't have it any other way. No refills. Just savor the one cup you've just paid $3.50 for.

Here's possibly good news for you coffee connoisseurs. Although this coffee has been around for years and I haven't seen it on any menu around here, perhaps I just didn't know what to look for. In the event it comes to a menu near you, here's what it might be named:

-civet coffee (named for the Asian Palm Civet)

-kopi luwak ("kopi" is Indonesian for civet and "luwak" is Indonesian for coffee)

-catpoocino (my personal favorite)



Sound like your "cup of tea"? It might set you back a few $, but it's a bargain considering some people readily spend over $5,000 for a pound of fish eggs.

Order your kopi luwak coffee right here on Amazon. It's $399.99 per pound.

I'm not sure if that includes free shipping.

1 comment:

  1. I remember having to learn to drink coffee. My mom was a tea drinker so never had coffee until college. I got a west bend percolator my first Christmas to use in the dorm. It was strictly for staying awake. It wasn't for enjoyment. We made cocoa for that. ;) I think I finally can say I like coffee better than tea, although many times I will get chai if available. My English genes are still strong I guess. Sister Lori hates coffee and has never drank it. I can't imagine not having it... I'd miss my Dunkin' Donuts coffee! I will have to try chocolate with it.

    ReplyDelete