09 September 2011

Barbie hair

Recognize her?


Yep, it's Bild Lilli.

She's a German doll sold between 1955 and 1964 and marketed by O&M Hausser. That is, until Mattel (combo of founder's names: Matt & Elliot) bought the rights to her.

Ever heard of Ruth Handler?

She's the American businesswoman credited with the creation of Barbie using Bild Lilli as her inspiration. Oh, and she was married to Elliot Handler (same Elliot as in Matt & Elliot).

I'd say Ruth was mostly just a creative marketer since the first Barbie (named for Ruth and Elliot's daughter Barbara) looks like Bild Lilli's identical twin.

Actually, Bild Lilli was not even a child's toy, but a gag gift for adults. Ruth didn't know that when she first purchased the doll in a Swiss shop. No matter, Mattel bought her and the rest is history.

I LOVED Barbie dolls and had quite a collection. Well, actually, I still have my collection. My mother sewed lots and lots of clothes for them too - with tiny little buttons and tiny little rick-rack. I still have all those little clothes too.

Anyway, I also LOVED giving my Barbie dolls a new "do". My Skipper has a bob and my Scooter has a pixie. Fortunately, my first Barbie doll, circa 1961, already had short hair and remains intact. She looks just like this:


Not unlike my Skipper and Scooter, I managed to have a substandard experience at the kapsalon in Belgium this week.

Since my hair is "greying" (and has been for 25 years), I figured I'd just "go grey" and in that effort, actually "went Barbie".

Although I don't look a lot like my Barbie 1961, the texture and color were spot-on.

Myy kapper (Halil) agreed it was a bit "yellowish" and asked me to return for a make-over. So I did.


Now, it looks a little more like this - Barbie at 50. How appropriate. My new Barbie hair has a bit of a lavender hue, but Halil assures me it'll buff out. And I think it looks good. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment