27 January 2021

Social Media

 As I was reading through my new blog books, I read a post I did on facebook more than 10 years ago.  I never joined facebook or any other social media platform.  Not then or now.  I email and text, but that's the extent of my media socializing.  

We recently watched three good documentaries on the subject - "Snowden", "The Social Dilemma", and "Spycraft".  Worth watching in my opinion.  It definitely confirmed how much I don't know about the internet.  

I've said many times, then and now, the internet will be the death of us.

In that post of 2010, I mentioned that facebook had 400 million users (about 6% of the population) and today that number has ballooned to 2.7 billion (about 69% of the population).  I was happy then to be in that 94% and happier to be in the 31%. 

Back 10 years ago, users spent about 45 minutes a day on social media and today that's jumped to nearly 2 and a half hours a day.  Which is the reason I never got on it to begin with.  I know how addiction works.  And I also know my head from a hole in the ground which can't be said for some who believe anything they read. 

Of course today about 90% of the world has access to the internet where in 2010 that was more like 30%.  Wow.  No wonder social media has taken over.  Access and ignorance seem to go hand in hand.  

Well, it's certainly proved to be disturbing in many ways and dangerous in even more.  I won't be logging on to any social media platform, but I am falling further into that percentage who don't and I am absolutely fine with that.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  -George Carlin


No comments:

Post a Comment