27 January 2014

Converts

When I read recently that the local Center for Islam is showing a marked increase in new Muslim converts, especially women, I was curious.  The article went on to say the increase was not only from the big cities in Belgium, but also from rural areas.  

The Center even started a new association for these new converts which now has more than 700 members with numbers, according to the Center director, steadily increasing.   

Interesting since Belgium has most certainly historically been a Christian country with over 75% of its population being Catholic.  About 5% of these actually attend church.  

Of course, 700 converts is fairly insignificant since the population of Belgium is over 10 million, but the director for the Center said the growth in women converts to Islam is a clear trend.  She further stated it is result of several things including social media and more people coming into contact with Muslims.  

More people coming into contact with Muslims.  

How many Muslims do you know?  If you're like me, until I moved here, I knew zero. In one of my Flemish classes, I met and sort of got to know two - both young women - both smart - and both nice. 

Interesting because if they hadn't worn a hijab (that veil covering the head), I'm sure I wouldn't have even known they were Muslim.

Just an observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment