06 November 2012

Plebiscite

Today is the birthday of John Phillip Sousa (1854 - 1932) and of course, that all important day in 1990 when Arsenio Hall got a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame.

But it's probably best known as U.S. Election Day!

Although I'm 5,000 miles away from a U.S. voting booth, I've kept up with some of the election coverage this time around.  I'm not registered to vote nor have I ever been.  "So, you have no right to complain."  I couldn't agree more. In my opinion, I'm not qualified to make such an important decision and, turns out, our Founding Fathers pretty much agreed.  Hence, the Electoral College.

If you don't completely understand the EC . . .  you may still be asking yourself if your vote will make a difference - for President, of course.  

If you're in one of those "swing states", then probably yes.  If you're not, it may still be worth it for the local stuff.  

I found this fun "interactive election" tool in an article from The Guardian newspaper.  You input information and it predicts the chances of your vote making a difference in the election.

You may like to try it.  I'll put a link at the bottom.  Here are my results.


Starting off with 100


I clicked "female" and it went to 53.


I clicked "college" and I'm down to 23%.


I clicked my age range which got me to 9.


The I clicked "white" and I'm down to a 7% chance.


And here's where it all went to hell.  Clicking TEXAS!


Yes, being from Texas means my vote has 0% chance of determining the election.


Actually, that's no surprise.  Here are the 3 states I've ever lived in: 
Louisiana, Texas and Arkansas.

And it's been the same for the last decade . . .


In 2012


In 2008


In 2004


In 2000

The good news is that the Presidential election isn't the only thing on the Texas ballot.  There are judges, justices, senators, representatives, and commissioners (none of whom I know a thing about) so you informed voters - get out there and vote!

And for all you "swing state" voters (not including Ohio), please go vote because as indicated in the following videos, these are the people who may be deciding our future.  

Disclaimer:  The fact that these people are pro-Romney and anti-Obama is missing the point.  It's the fact that these people are actually real!  And they vote. 

If the links below don't work, it's worth it to go to YouTube and search New Left Media Ohio Romney Rally.




Scary, huh.  If you'd like to hear more . . .

Unfortunately this guy did not attend and interview at the Obama Ohio Rally.  I would have liked to see a comparison.

Then again, maybe not.

Oh, and if you're interested in the "interactive election" tool in The Guardian newspaper - click HERE.  And if you want to know how it works, there's a link for that too on the interactive page.

America the Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment