30 October 2012

Mar Hall

This past week we had the chance to visit a super nice hotel in the UK called Mar Hall.  

The weather was nice because it was sunny, but it was freezing cold - like not getting above 32F freezing.  On our way to the airport at around Noon, Jim noticed a pond with ice on top!


Mar Hall Hotel is located on the River Clyde near Glasgow in the village of Bishopton in Renfrewshire, Scotland.  The grounds are beautiful and include an 18-hole golf course.  Nothing would entice me to play golf in that cold - well, maybe because I don't even play golf - but it didn't stop anybody else.  There was a steady stream of golfers the whole time we were there.  Brrrr.


For those who need a map like me, here's Scotland with the Clyde River in the southern half.  


We considered a day trip down to Ireland since we were so close, but it's more complicated than it looks.  As the crow flies, Glasgow to Belfast is only about 100 miles and Glasgow to Dublin is only about 200 miles, but it's also mostly water so flying is really the only option.  Well . . . one could go by ferry, but I don't do ferries.  That 3 hour glass-bottomed boat tour back in 1993 cured me. 

Another day.


According to the hotel brochure, Mar was one of the seven kingdoms in ancient Scotland and 'The Earl of Mar' is the oldest title in Britain.  Mar Hall was completed in 1845 for the family of Major General (aka Lord) Robert Walter Stuart - at a total cost of £50,000 ($80,000).

Unfortunately it was completed 15 years after the death of Lord Stuart.  


A quarry on the estate provided the stone while the oak wood was imported from Canada.  The house fell into disrepair at some point, but in 2004 was completely restored - at a total cost of £15 million.  In 2012 dollars, that's $24 million.

 

In addition to the golf course, Mar Hall is known for its spa and it takes up half the estate.  Not really, but it is expansive.  While I'm not usually a fan of visiting spas - perhaps because I've never visited a spa - I did have a facial.  I enjoyed it right up until I had to cut my mask short because I had to go to the bathroom :-\


I caught a glimpse of some movement outside our window one morning and ran for my camera.  This is as close as it would zoom in, but that is a beautiful red fox.  I also took a short video . . .  I think it is eating something and I'm sure I don't want to know what it is.





Mar Hall Hotel
Bishopton, Renfrewshire, Scotland

No comments:

Post a Comment